Monday, November 3, 2014

Whatever You Do, Don't Call Him Cheap!

As a young girl, I remember asking my father for money to purchase something--God only knows -- and he started to question me about the item and why I wanted/felt I needed to have it.  Before I knew it, "Dad, you are cheap!" slipped right out of my mouth.  To which he quickly responded in a sarcastically corrective tone, "I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty, I'm frugal and I like nice things." All I knew was that I wasn't going to get the item I wanted because this man was cheap!

I decided to investigate the real meaning of those words up and immediately smiled because the old man was teaching me about money management.  I reflected over the tangible gifts he gave me and the things he placed value upon to understand his mindset.  Being "frugal and thrifty" can lead you to make better decisions that have positive impacts on your financial future.  Simple but necessary.

On November 3, 2010, Dad passed away debt-free and financial able to cover his medical and burial expenses.  His frugal and thrifty lifestyle is the legacy that he left for me. 

On the anniversary of his passing, I ask myself,
  • Have I made the wise financial decisions over the past year?  Did I need another designer bag?
  • If I am diagnosed with an ailment or disease that requires medical care, am I prepared?
  • Am I prepared to retired?  Am I on target with my financial plan and goals?  And to retire to a lifestyle that is filled with joy and provision verses a life that is moments away from poverty?  
These and other questions have been the motivators for my "ResourceNista" lifestyle and all credit goes to my Dad!

If you do not already have one, please considering developing your own Financial Fitness Check-Up.  Select an important day in your life for that annual visit and then move forward making any necessary adjustments to stay in alignment with your plan and to meet your financial goals.


I Love and Miss you, Dad!,

Signed Your Baby (aka The ResourceNista)

No comments: